Viator is an OTA specializing in tours, activities, and attractions. Founded in 1999, it is one of the oldest and largest tours and activities marketplaces in the world. Acquired by TripAdvisor in 2014, Viator powers the Things to Do (Experiences) on TripAdvisor, enabling over 415 million monthly travel planners to book directly on the world's largest travel site.
If you are working with Viator or perhaps are planning to, you can automate your relationship with them using API Connectivity and Zaui's Channel Manager.
API Connectivity will allow your Zaui system and Viator to talk to each other. Specifically, Viator will be able to:
- Pull a list of activities that are available for booking;
- Retrieve information regarding the availability of those activities;
- Create new bookings;
- Updated and cancel existing bookings in your Zaui system
Save time and money - no more email booking requests from Viator and manual booking entry!
This article will cover the following topics:
- Registering with Viator and Creating your products
- Creating Viator as an Agency in Zaui
- Enabling Viator channel in Zaui
- Mapping Products in Viator to Zaui activities
- Important FYI's
Registering with Viator and Creating your products
You must have a Supplier Account with Viator and your products listed with them in order to use API Connectivity.
If you don't already have an account, you can sign up here. Once you create an account and provide information about your business and contact details, a Viator representative will reach out via email in the next 2-3 business days to ask a few clarifying questions and negotiate their commission/net rates. Please note Zaui is not involved here and cannot assist in this process. Should you require assistance with the registration process, please contact email@example.com.
Once registered, you will be able to create and configure your products with Viator using their Management Center in order to connect them to corresponding activities in your Zaui system. We recommend you include high-quality photos and describe your product in detail. It’s also a good idea to check a few well-performing competitor listings on Viator and follow a similar (or better!) model. It is important, however, that your Viator product date ranges and times exactly match date ranges and times of corresponding activity in your Zaui system. Check this link or contact Viator if you need assistance with creating this product.
Creating Viator as a Company in Zaui
All bookings created via API Connectivity automatically appear in Zaui as PAID with Voucher payment type, therefore it is important Viator is set up as a Wholesale Company in your Zaui system.
To set up Viator as a Wholesale Company:
- From the navigation bar, select Contacts > Manage Companies > List Companies. If Viator is not on the list of companies, click Create Company from the shortcuts panel. If it is on the list, click on it to view details.
- Fill out the Company Information section (only Company Name is required, other fields are optional).
- In Rate Type section, select Wholesale Discount/Invoice type and leave all boxes unchecked.
- In Rate Codes section, assign a rate code to Viator based on your negotiated commission/net rate with them and define to which products it applies. This will ensure your reports account for the correct Net Rate. Learn more about rate codes here.
Enabling Viator channel in Zaui
By default, API Connectivity is disabled to protect your business information. As a business manager/owner, you need to enable this for each Channel Partner and define any applicable rules.
To enable Viator channel:
- From your home page, select Contacts > Manage Channel Partners.
- Click on Viator on api.zaui.io on the list of channel partners.
- In Map reseller to account field within Channel Information section, select the Viator company created earlier.
- Check Enabled Channel box to turn this channel on.
- If you would like Zaui to also notify you via email every time Viator performs actions via API Connectivity (i.e. pulls a list of available activities, creates, updates, cancels bookings, etc.), check Enable Alerts box and enter email for notifications to be sent to.
Some Zaui systems may display the old channel name Viator on api.zaui.io instead of Viator on api.zaui.io in Contacts > Manage Channel Partners. Select Viator on api.zaui.io if this is the case for you.
- In Channel Rules and Controls section, define which activities you allow Viator to access via API Connectivity and what rules to apply. Learn more about Channel Rules and Controls here.
- Don't forget to click on Save.
Mapping your Viator product to your Zaui Activity
- Log in to Viator Management Center, click the Products tab, then click Manage next to the product you wish to connect to the Zaui activity.
- Go to the Product Connection tab on the product page, click Edit next to the product option you want to connect to. If all previous steps are completed correctly, you should see a list of activities from Zaui that you have shared earlier via Viator on api.zaui.io channel.
Please note: the Product Connection tab in the Viator Management Center is only enabled for Users with the Permissions for Product API mapping.
- From the list of Zaui activities shown, select one that corresponds to this Viator product option. Click Connect. This will return you to the product page, where the status of the product option will now show as Connected.
If you see the Something went wrong. Error Code: TGDS00028 message when clicking Connect, please wait for 12 hours and try this step again.
- API Connectivity with Viator currently only supports Standard, Interval and Ticket activities in Zaui. Custom, Point to Point and Rental activities as well as Packages and Merchandise Products CANNOT be connected to Viator.
- Your passenger types in Zaui must exactly match ones on Viator product listing for the connection to work. It is not possible to change mapping for passenger types at this time. Zaui pricing options are cannot be connected.
- Make sure Zaui activity date ranges and start times on Viator are the same.
- If you are using Interval Activities, we recommend you set these up a Products with one option, that has all available start times within it. It is not recommended to build individual product options for each start time as this will result in confusing booking flow on Viator and is known to be causing connection errors.