A new feature of the Online Booking Engine is the ability for customers to now make simple edits to their own bookings online. This allows more self-service for your customers and gives your staff more time to manage other parts of the business.
This article will walk you through how the Online Editing Booking tool works and how to manage it.
This article will cover the following topics:
Enabling/Disabling Online Editing Booking Tool
Not every business would like to give their customers the ability to edit their own bookings, and we get that! You have full control over whether you would like to give access to your customers to edit their own bookings or not. Reach out to email@example.com to have the feature disabled.
Including Booking Reference ID in Itinerary
In order to enable your customers to make edits to their own bookings online, you will need to provide them access to their Booking Reference ID.
The Booking Reference ID is an auto-generated unique ID that the customer will need to enter online in order to retrieve their booking.
- You will first want to ensure you update your email templates to include the Booking Reference ID and a link with to the Edit Booking page.
- Navigate to Settings > Manage Notifications > Email/SMS.
- Select your Confirmation Email Notification.
- You will first want to include the Booking Reference Id Smart Tag (Reference_ID) which will populate the unique Reference ID for that booking in the customer's confirmation email.
- You will also want to add the Edit Booking Smart Tag (Edit_Booking), into the body of your email for customers to have access to the editing functionality. Feel free to use similar formatting/wording as the example below. (Tip - you can replace the wording and Smart Tag on the existing Print Tickets button).
- Don't forget to Save your changes.
How to Retrieve and Edit a Booking Online
Customers will be able to access their bookings online in one of two ways:
- By clicking on the Edit Booking button that is included in their confirmation email.
- By accessing the menu on the Online Booking Engine of your website which now has a My Bookings button available.
- Once customers click on the Edit Booking link or click on My Bookings from the OBE menu, a tab will open up where they will need to enter their Booking Reference ID and Last Name on their booking.
- The system will then refresh and list Customer and Booking Details.
What Can Be Edited
The fields that are editable depend on the activity-type of their booking.
Please note that bookings cannot be fully cancelled, only edited from here. Customers will need to contact your team directly to cancel a booking.
- Changes that result in additional cost will prompt the customer to pay the balance before committing the changes.
- Changes that result in reduced cost will allow the customer to obtain a refund for the difference in cost only if the custom paid by credit card originally.
If a customer is on the online editing page, no other user can access the booking. If you need to access the booking while a user has it open online (and they are having trouble logging out of their booking), you can force-close their editing session by using the option under Settings > Database Maintenance in the back office called Clear Single Cart Session. Enter the booking number to close their open session so that you can edit the booking on their behalf.