Gift Cards cannot be refunded through the system as they are treated as currency in the system.
You do have options for manipulating gift cards that exist in your system to ensure they are not used in the system if they have been refunded externally (for example).
As you cannot refund a Gift Card within the system this article briefly covers options for manipulating gift cards. These include:
- How to expire the original Gift Card
- How to create a "Gift Card Credit Card Refund" using Database Maintenance
- How to remove Gift Card and Other Associated Transaction types using Database Maintenance
- How to create a new Gift Card out of the original Gift Card
How to expire the original Gift Card
- Search for the gift card using the search bar.
- Select Edit/Modify/Delete.
- Change the Expiry Date to the current date or a date in the past.
- Update and Process.
Use Database Maintenance to Create a Gift Card Refund
This is for if you want to credit your customer for the gift card amount.
- From the navigation bar, select Settings > Database Maintenance.
- Select Create GC Credit Card Refund from the bottom of the panel on the left-hand side.
- Fill in all of the necessary information (which can be found if you search the gift card and bring up its receipt), press Commit, and you will have created a refund.
Note that at this point, the gift card can still be used towards a sale
How to Remove Gift Cards and Other Associated Transaction Types Using Database Maintenance
- To delete all transactions on a gift card you would go to Settings > Database Maintenance.
- From Gift Card Maintenance on the left select Remove All Trans.
- Enter the Gift Card number and Commit.
To then remove the Gift Card from the system you simply select Remove Gift Card and commit to the number to be removed.
How to create a new Gift Card out of the original Gift Card
This is for if you wish to keep the old payment but create a new gift card.
- Create a new gift card for the new amount with the same customer name and information.
- Discount it 100% and make note of the new GC number.
- Go to the original GC and make a note to use the new GC number. You can also decide whether or not you want to e-mail the GC users and inform them of their new GC number.
- When the customer comes in, if they are not aware of their changed GC number, when an associate tries to validate the old GC number, they will get a message that says it is not a valid GC. However, if they look up the GC to see why it is not valid, they will immediately see the new GC number and will be able to complete the transaction using the new number.